Bowron, Edgar Peters, Pompeo Batoni , 
Pompeo Batoni : a complete catalogue of his paintings / Edgar Peters Bowron.
- New Haven : Yale University Press in association with the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, London, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes (xiii, 730 pages) : illustrations ; 31 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.B297 B69 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 683-705) and indexes.
"This meticulously researched catalogue presents an authoritative assessment of the works of Pompeo Batoni (1708-1787), one of the 18th century's most celebrated painters. Born in Lucca, Batoni established himself in Rome and received commissions from popes, princes, and British aristocrats on the Grand Tour. Batoni was highly sought after for his theatrical yet incisive--and often flattering--portraits. Connoisseurs and cognoscenti also prized his learned and technically brilliant allegorical, religious, and mythological compositions. With entries on more than 480 paintings and 250 drawings, this magnificent two-volume set provides the most complete examination to date of Batoni's entire oeuvre. Featuring beautiful, high-quality reproductions, the book provides thorough details on provenance and exhibition history as well as biographies of the portrait sitters. New analysis of the works, resulting from decades of research, reinterprets some of Batoni's iconography, identifies new textual and visual sources of his imagery, and reveals insights gleaned from unpublished archival materials"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Batoni, Pompeo, 1708-1787 -- Catalogues raisonnés.Batoni, Pompeo, 1708-1787 -- Criticism and interpretation.Batoni, Pompeo, 1708-1787.
- Catalogues raisonnés.
Criticism, interpretation, etc.