A voyage to the islands Madera, Barbados, Nieves, S. Christophers and Jamaica : with the natural history of the herbs and trees, four-footed beasts, fishes, birds, insects, reptiles, &c. of the last of those islands : to which is prefix'd an introduction, wherein is an account of the inhabitants, air, waters, diseases, trade, &c of that place, with some relations concerning the neighbouring continent, and islands of America : illustrated with the figures of the things describ'd, which have not been heretofore engraved, in large copper-plates as big as the life / by Hans Sloane.
- Additional Title(s):
Running title: Voyage to Jamaica
Running title: Natural history of Jamaica
- London : Printed by B.M. for the author, 1707-1725.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v., XI, 274 leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., port. (frontispiece), map (engravings) ; 36 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQH109.J5 S66 1707+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BEIN Skhc 065 Copy 1: Leaves mounted.
Vol. 2: London, Printed for the author, 1725.
Title printed of each volume printed in red and black.
Vol. 1: frontispiece, , cliv, 264,  p.,  leaves of plates; v. 2: , xviii, 499 [i.e. 501] (467-468 omitted in pagination),  p.,  leaves of plates.
Engraved frontispiece by T. Murray and I. Faber.
B.M. = Benjamin Motte. Cf. Hunt.
The running title for the first section of vol. 1 is "A voyage to Jamaica" but the running title for the rest of vol. 1 and vol. 2 is "The natural history of Jamaica."
Folded plates are printed on double leaves.
Plates signed by M. van der Gucht and J. Savage.
Signatures: vol. 1: [A]1 chi1 [superscript chi]A-C² a-2p² 2q²( -2q2) B-3X² 2chi1; vol. 2: pi² a-e² A-6A² 6B²( -6B2) 6C-6K² (e2 blank; 3Z1 mis-signed 'Zzzz').
Short title catalogue of eighteenth century printed books in the National Library of Medicine p. 420
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 82169
Catalogue of botanical books in the collection of Rachel McMasters Miller Hunt, 417
Catalogue of printed books in the Wellcome Historical Medical Library, V, p. 126
English short title catalogue, T100752
Nissen, C. Botanische Buchillustration, 1854
Errata is on final unnumbered leaf of vol. 1.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf; rebacked. Armorial bookplate: Thomas Salwey L.L.D. of Richard's Castle, Salop. Ink stamp: Royal Entomological Society of London.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical illustration -- Early works to 1800.Botany -- Pre-Linnean works.Caribbean Area -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Jamaica -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Natural history -- Jamaica -- Pre-Linnean works.Natural history -- West Indies -- Pre-Linnean works.Royal Entomological Society of London -- Stamp.Salwey, Thomas, 1791-1878. -- Bookplate.Sloane, Hans, Sir, 1660-1753 -- Travel -- West Indies.West Indies -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1707-1725.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
- IIIF Manifest:
Enlightened Princesses - Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte, and the Shaping of the Modern World (Historic Royal Palaces, 2017-06-22 - 2017-11-12) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Enlightened Princesses - Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte, and the Shaping of the Modern World (Yale Center for British Art, 2017-02-02 - 2017-04-30) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Wilde Americk - Discovery and Exploration of the New World, 1500-1850 (Yale Center for British Art, 2001-09-27 - 2001-09-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]