The anatomy of an horse : containing an exact and full description of the frame, situation and connexion of all his parts, (with their actions and uses) exprest in forty nine copper-plates : to which is added an appendix, containing two discourses: the one, of the generation of animals; and the other, of the motion of the chyle, and the circulation of the bloud / by Andrew Snape, Jun. Farrier to His Majesty.
- London : Printed by M. Flesher for the Authour, and are to be sold by T. Flesher at the Angel and Crown in S. Paul's Church-yard, An. Dom. 1683.
- Physical Description:
- , 237, , 45,  p., XLIX leaves of plates : ill., port. ; 37 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF765 .S63 1683+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF765 .S63 1683+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The illustrations are chiefly taken from the woodcuts in Carlo Ruini's book on the anatomy of the horse (cf Podeschi).
With engraved frontispiece portrait (A1v) of the author signed: R. White delin. et sculp:.
Signatures: A-Z⁴ 2A-2H⁴ 2I² 3A-3F⁴ 3G².
T.p. enclosed in a plain rule-border.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), S4382
Arber, E. Term catalogues, 1668-1709 A.D., I, 508
English short title catalogue, R14873
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 31
"The appendix, containing two discourses: the one, of the generation of animals; and the other, of the motion of the chyle, and the circulation of the bloud. By the same author" has divisional half-title on leaf 3A1r and begins new pagination.
Final leaves bear contents and errata.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies, both bound in sprinkled calf and rebacked. Copy 1 has armorial bookplate of Watkin Williams Esqr. of Pembedr in the county of Denbigh. Inscribed: Richard Mostyn. Copy 2 inscribed: Mar. 1. 1723 Collat. & perfect J Wright; Fawsyde, Bervie, N.B.
- Subject Terms:
- Anatomy -- Early works to 1800.Blood -- Circulation -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Anatomy -- Early works to 1800.Mostyn, Richard -- AutographVeterinary anatomy -- Early works to 1800.Williams, Watkin -- BookplateWright, J. -- Autograph
- Engravings -- 1683.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.