Canu, Jean Dominique Etienne, 1768-, Violettes du 20 Mars 1815 , 20 Mars 1815
Violettes du 20 Mars 1815 / Cana fecit.
- A Paris : Déposée a la Direction generale, rue St. Jacques No. 29, 20 Mars 1815.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : hand colored engraving. ; 14 x 10 cm, on sheet 25 x 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsEph Po 4Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Magic picture whereby the negative space at margin and center of violet bouquet form the profiles of Marie Louise (upper left), Napoleon (upper right) and the King of Rome (near stems at center).
This print first published during Napoleon's exile on Elba for those who looked for his return, as he is said to have predicted, at the return of the violet season.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum, volume 5, number 12511
- Subject Terms:
- Bonaparte family -- Portraits.Bonaparte, François-Charles-Joseph, Herzog von Reichstadt, 1811-1832 -- Portraits.Bonaparte, François-Charles-Joseph, Herzog von Reichstadt, 1811-1832.France -- Politics and government -- 1814-1830.Marie Louise, Empress, consort of Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1791-1847 -- Porraits.Marie Louise, Empress, consort of Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1791-1847.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Elba and the Hundred Days, 1814-1815.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Portraits.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821.Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815.Signs and symbols -- Political aspects -- France.Symbolism in art.Violets -- Pictorial works.
- Botanical illustrations.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.