Stowe : a description of the magnificent house and gardens of the Right Honourable Richard Grenville Temple, Earl Temple : Viscount and Baron Cobham : one of His Majesty's most honourable Privy Council, and knight of the most noble order of the garter : embellished with a general plan of the gardens, and also a separate plan of each building with perspective views of the same.
- A new edition with all the alterations and improvements that have been made therein, to the present time : with the description of the inside of the house.
- London : Printed for J. and F. Rivington, in St. Paul's Church yard : B. Seeley in Buckingham : and T. Hodgkinson at Stowe, 1769.
- Physical Description:
- 44 pages,  leaves of plates ( folded) : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7625.S86 S865 1769Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- By Benton Seeley.
Engravings by Gabriel (?) Smith; after Benton Seeley and W. Fairchild.
Map engraved by J.S. Miller.
"The description of the house and gardens without the plans and views of the Temples, may be had alone, Price six-pence."--Foot of title page.
English short title catalogue, T65435
Holmes, M. Country house described, p. 239
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 2952
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary quarter calf; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Brit tracts -- 1769.Buckingham (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Buckingham, George Nugent Temple Grenville, Marquess of, 1753-1813 -- Homes and haunts.Country homes -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Hodgkinson, T., -- Publisher.Landscape gardening -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Painting -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Stowe Gardens (England) -- Early works to 1800.Stowe House (Buckinghamshire, England)Temple, Richard Grenville-Temple, Earl, 1711-1779.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.