Grigson, Caroline, 1935-, Menagerie , 2016
Menagerie : the history of exotic animals in England, 1100-1837 / Caroline Grigson.
- First edition.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 349 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryQL73.G7 G75 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 296-318) and indexes.
The story of the panoply of exotic animals that were brought into Britain from time immemorial until the foundation of the London Zoo and beyond - a tale replete with the extravagant, the eccentric, and, on occasion, the downright bizarre.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals, Exotic.Captive wild animals -- England -- History.England.Exotic animals -- England -- History.Menageries -- England -- History.Menageries.Wild animal collecting -- England -- History.
- Foreword / by Juliet Clutton-Brock
- The Normans to the Tudors
- The Stuarts, 1603-1688
- William and Mary to George II, 1688-c.1760
- George III, c.1760-1811
- George IV as Regent and King, c.1811-1830
- William IV, c.1830-1837