Grigson, Caroline, 1935-, Menagerie , 2016
Menagerie : the history of exotic animals in England, 1100-1837 / Caroline Grigson.
- First edition.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 349 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryQL73.G7 G75 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 296-318) and indexes.
The story of the panoply of exotic animals that were brought into Britain from time immemorial until the foundation of the London Zoo and beyond - a tale replete with the extravagant, the eccentric, and, on occasion, the downright bizarre.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals, Exotic.Captive wild animals -- England -- History.England.Exotic animals -- England -- History.Menageries -- England -- History.Menageries.Wild animal collecting -- England -- History.
- Foreword / by Juliet Clutton-Brock
- The Normans to the Tudors
- The Stuarts, 1603-1688
- William and Mary to George II, 1688-c.1760
- George III, c.1760-1811
- George IV as Regent and King, c.1811-1830
- William IV, c.1830-1837