Drawing folder, with four travel scenes.
- Great Britain, approximately [1840?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 folder : embossed paperboard ; 27 x 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC790 .D73 1840+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Hand-made folder made from two sheets of pink embossed paperboard, with hand-stitched spine of pink silk and pink silk ties at all three unbound edges. The ornate floral embossing on each of the two sheets frames four central panels (13 x 9 cm) onto which the owner has drawn four scenes, in graphite. The drawings are relatively skilled, depicting (from front to back):  An English (?) town or village, with small river (illegible inscription);  The Franciscan monastery and church of Santa Lucia in front of the city of Syracuse;  The tomb of Theron, The temples of Concord and Juno Lucina;  From Clifton Down (Avon Gorge).
Presumably the folder was intended to hold sheets used for sketching.
- Subject Terms:
- Avon Gorge (Bristol, England)Chiesa di Santa Lucia (Syracuse, Italy)Drawing materials -- Specimens.Parco Valle dei Templi (Italy)Syracuse (Italy)
- Graphite drawings.
Drafting, drawing and writing equipment.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.