Holmden, Richard, 1813-1890, Specimens of penmanship , Christmas, 1825
Specimens of penmanship / by R. Holmden.
- Westerham, England, Christmas, 1825.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : maps ; 23 x 39 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 24Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The identity of the manuscript's author is uncertain. It may be Richard Holmden (1813-1890), of Edenbridge, Kent (not far from Westerham), who would have been almost 13 at the time. The British censuses of 1861 and 1881 record Richard Holmden as a farmer of 100 acres, employing several laborers.
In contemporary marbled wrappers; leather back.
Manuscript exercise book for penmanship, along with manuscript maps, by Richard Holmden. The final leaf indicates that the volume was executed at "Westerham School [Kent], Christmas 1825." Writing is in pen and black ink throughout, with headings executed in decorative capital letters. The short texts cover topics such as "Anger," "The idea of deity," and "Honour the humane."
Of particular interest are the five maps neatly drawn in pen and black ink and watercolor. The maps are placed so as to alternate with leaves of text. Represented are maps of Spain and Portugal, Cumberland, Westmorland, Kent, and Middlesex. All are drawn in neat detail, presumably copied from printed works, with depictions of rivers, towns, and hundreds, framed by scales of lattitude and longitude.
- Subject Terms:
- Children -- Conduct of life.Cumberland (England) -- Maps.Education -- Great Britain.Geography -- Study and teaching -- Great Britain.Kent (England) -- Maps.Middlesex (England) -- Maps.Penmanship -- Study and teaching.Spain -- Maps.Westmorland (England) -- Maps.
- Penmanship specimen books.
Calligraphy (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.