Garden snail : Helix aspersa.
- Additional Title(s):
Title on back of case: Bug ball 2015
- England, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 bug ball ; in display case 15 x 15 x 6 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process (Cabinet H)Yale Center for British Art, acquired with funds from the Bequest of Daniel S. KalkAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "With an appreciation of the natural world and love of drawing Claire has been inspired to study insects and reproduce these as tiny embroideries on felt. She enjoys the humour in producing insects that are realistic and presenting them as traditional entomological collections. Her work is a celebration of insects some of which are ironically described as 'pests.'"--Artist's website.
"Bug ball 2015. Bespoke hand embroidery, 100% wool from the finest Morden Hall Alpacas. Claire Moynihan [artist's signature], Made in England, ©Claire Moynihan 2010."--Printed label on underside of the case.
The ball is pinned within an entomological display case made of oak, with a fixed glazed lid.
Title from hand-written label placed within the display case.
Hand-embroidered alpaca wool "bug ball" depicting a garden snail, in a glass-fronted display case, by Claire Moynihan. The snail is embroidered with threads of multiple colors and sits atop a dark gray felt ball.
- Subject Terms:
- Brown garden snail -- Collection and preservation.Brown garden snail -- Pictorial works.Entomology.Insects -- Collection and preservation.Insects -- Pictorial works.Women in natural history.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.