Moynihan, Claire, Southern hawker : Aeshna cyanea, 2015
- Southern hawker : Aeshna cyanea.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Aeshna cyanea
Title on back of case: Bug ball 2015
- England, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 bug ball ; in display case 15 x 15 x 6 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process (Cabinet H)Yale Center for British Art, acquired with funds from the Bequest of Daniel S. KalkAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "With an appreciation of the natural world and love of drawing Claire has been inspired to study insects and reproduce these as tiny embroideries on felt. She enjoys the humour in producing insects that are realistic and presenting them as traditional entomological collections. Her work is a celebration of insects some of which are ironically described as 'pests.'"--Artist's website.
Hand-embroidered alpaca wool "bug ball" depicting a southern hawker (dragonfly), in a glass-fronted display case, by Claire Moynihan. The dragonfly is embroidered with threads of multiple colors, with wings of a gauze, placed upon a dark gray felt ball.
"Bug ball 2015. Bespoke hand embroidery, 100% wool from the finest Morden Hall Alpacas. Claire Moynihan [artist's signature], Made in England, ©Claire Moynihan 2010."--Printed label on underside of the case.
The ball is pinned within an entomological display case made of oak, with a fixed glazed lid.
Title from hand-written label placed within the display case.
- Subject Terms:
- Aeshna cyanea -- Collection and preservation.Aeshna cyanea -- Pictorial works.Dragonflies -- Collection and preservation.Dragonflies -- Pictorial works.Entomology.Insects -- Collection and preservation.Insects -- Pictorial works.Women in natural history.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.