Visual literacy for libraries : a practical, standards-based guide / Nicole E. Brown, Kaila Bussert, Denise Hattwig, Ann Medaille.
- Additional Title(s):
Literacy for libraries
- Chicago : ALA Editions, an imprint of the American Library Association, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 187 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryZA3075 .B77 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"The importance of images and visual media in today's culture is changing what it means to be literate in the 21st century. Digital technologies have made it possible for almost anyone to create and share visual media. Yet the pervasiveness of images and visual media does not necessarily mean that individuals are able to critically view, use, and produce visual content. The ACRL Visual Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education were developed to address these distinct characteristics of images and visual media. Based on those standards, this book provides librarians and instructors with the tools, strategies, and confidence to apply visual literacy in a library context. Readers will not only learn about ways to develop students' visual literacy, but also how to use visual materials to make their instruction more engaging. Ideal for the busy librarian who needs ideas, activities, and teaching strategies that are ready to implement, this book shows how to challenge students to delve into finding images, using images in the research process, interpreting and analyzing images, creating visual communications, and using visual content ethically; provides ready-to-go learning activities for engaging critically with visual materials; offers tools and techniques for increasing one's own visual literacy confidence; and gives strategies for integrating, engaging with and advocating for visual literacy in libraries. With this book's guidance, academic professionals can help students master visual literacy, a key competency in today's media-saturated world, while also enlivening instruction with visual materials"--Publisher's website.
- Subject Terms:
- Academic libraries -- Relations with faculty and curriculum.Information literacy -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Activity programs.Pictures -- Research.Visual communication.Visual literacy -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Activity programs.
- Interpret and analyze images
- Find the right images
- Create and use images
- Ethical use of images
- Cite and credit images
- Images and the research process
- Appendix: ACRL visual literacy competency standards for higher education.