In the lion's den : Daniel Macdonald, Ireland and Empire / Niamh O'Sullivan.
- Additional Title(s):
Daniel Macdonald, Ireland and Empire
- Hamden, CT : Quinnipiac University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 152 pages : color illustrations, portraits, facsimiles ; 28 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.M12337 .O88 2016 OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- "The Crawford Art Gallery, Cork, is home to many of Macdonald's paintings and drawings that feature here, and this book coincides with the first retrospective exhibition of Daniel Macdonald's work, held at Ireland's Great Hunger Museum, Quinnipiac University, in 2016."--p.9
Includes bibliographical references (p. 141-143) and index.
BAC Ref: Book signed by author.
Daniel Macdonald (1820-1853) is a painter who deserves to be better known. Niamh O'Sullivan's fascinating book reveals compelling new subtexts to his oeuvre and re-establishes him as a painter of national importance; it also sheds original light on the social and visual culture of Ireland in the years leading up to and during the Famine. Themes rarely visited by artists--rural violence, superstition and folklore, the Famine, and many aspects of the national character--were given spirited treatment by Macdonald who insinuated such subject matter in to the salons of metropolitan London, to venues distinctly hostile to Irish poverty, hunger and agitation. This critical biography is essential reading for anyone interested in Irish art and history.--back cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Famines in art.Hunger in art.Ireland -- History -- 19th century.Ireland -- History -- Famine, 1845-1852.MacDonald, Daniel, 1821-1853.McDaniel, James, 1788-1865.Painting, Irish -- 19th century.Rogers, Jane Masters Macdonald, 1824-1909.
- The Cork crucible
- Rabid fury
- We are scourged
- Tales of Rural Ireland
- Appendices: Daniel Macdonald exhibition record
- Daniel Macdonald interim catalogue
- James McDaniel works
- Jane Masters Macdonald Rogers biography
- Jane Masters Macdonald Rogers works.