[Benjamin Disraeli] : in memoriam / from a photograph by Mr. Mayall, London.
- [England] : [publisher not identified], [not before 1883]
- Physical Description:
- 1 printed handkerchief : cotton or linen ; 45 x 44 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 3cYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrated handkerchief (of cotton or linen), printed in black, green, yellow, and gold, featuring a portrait of Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield, framed by a border of yellow primrose flowers. In each of the four corners is the emblem of the Primrose League, the Conservative organization founded in 1883 (with motto "Imperium et veritas"). It is unclear whether the Primrose League was responsible for production of the handkerchief.
The portrait of Disraeli is after a photograph by John Jabez Edwin Mayall. For the original photograph, see: National Portrait Gallery, NPG Number x46496, http://www.npgprints.com/image/410072/
- Subject Terms:
- Disraeli, Benjamin, 1804-1881 -- Portraits.Mourning customs -- Great Britain.Prime ministers -- Great Britain.Primrose League.
Printed textile materials.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.