Printed handkerchief featuring a portrait of Winston Churchill and British military aircraft, vessels, and munitions, approximately 1942
- Printed handkerchief featuring a portrait of Winston Churchill and British military aircraft, vessels, and munitions.
- Great Britain : publisher not identified, approximately 1942.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printed handkerchief ; 35 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 10a Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 10a Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The likeness of "The Prime Minister, Mr. Winston Churchill" is placed at the center of the handkerchief. It is encircled by eight images, clockwise from top-left: Hurricane fighter -- H.M. Submarine "Ursula" -- Balloon barrage -- Blenheim bomber -- H.M.S. "Exeter" -- Anti-aircraft gunners -- Spitfire diving to attack -- British tank in action.
The H.M.S. Exeter was sunk at the Battle of the Java Sea in 1942 and the Ursula was transferred to the Soviety navy in 1944.
At least two variations of the handkerchief are known, one on white (silk?) cloth, another on yellow.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is on white cloth.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is on yellow cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Airplanes, Military -- Great Britain.Churchill, Winston, 1874-1965 -- Portraits.Warships -- Great Britain.World War, 1939-1945.
Printed textile materials.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.