IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Till the boys come home , 1914 or 1915
Till the boys come home : (keep the home fires burning).
- Great Britain : publisher not identified, 1914 or 1915.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printed handkerchief : cotton ; 48 x 48 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 18aYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Till the boys come home was first published on October 8, 1914, by Ascherberg, Hopwood and Crew Ltd. From 1915, it was published with the title Keep the home fires burning.
Printed handkerchief depicting, at center, the words and music of Till the boys come home (keep the homes fires burning), words by Lena Guilbert Ford, music by Ivor Novello. The panel notes: "This song may be obtained of all music sellers or of the publishers messrs Ascherberg Hopwood & Crew Ltd., 10 Mortimer Street, London, N.W."
The border of the handkerchief is composed of flags of the British Empire and of allied nations. Below the panel of music are three illustrations, from left to right: Scottish soldiers, marching; a domestic interior, depicting a family singing together; and a team of soldiers operating a field gun.
- Subject Terms:
- Interiors.War songs -- Great Britain.World War, 1914-1918 -- Songs and music.
Printed textile materials.
- IIIF Manifest:
A Decade of Gifts and Acquisitions (Yale Center for British Art, 2017-06-01 - 2017-08-13) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.