Till the boys come home , 1914 or 1915
- Till the boys come home : (keep the home fires burning).
- Great Britain : publisher not identified, 1914 or 1915.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printed handkerchief : cotton ; 48 x 48 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2011 2aAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Till the boys come home was first published on October 8, 1914, by Ascherberg, Hopwood and Crew Ltd. From 1915, it was published with the title Keep the home fires burning.
Printed handkerchief depicting, at center, the words and music of Till the boys come home (keep the homes fires burning), words by Lena Guilbert Ford, music by Ivor Novello. The panel notes: "This song may be obtained of all music sellers or of the publishers messrs Ascherberg Hopwood & Crew Ltd., 10 Mortimer Street, London, N.W."
The border of the handkerchief is composed of flags of the British Empire and of allied nations. Below the panel of music are three illustrations, from left to right: Scottish soldiers, marching; a domestic interior, depicting a family singing together; and a team of soldiers operating a field gun.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Interiors.War songs -- Great Britain.World War, 1914-1918 -- Songs and music.
Printed textile materials.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.