Lucas' progressive drawing book, in three parts : ... consisting chiefly of original views of American scenery, and embracing the latest and best improvements in the mode of instruction.
- Additional Title(s):
Progressive drawing book
- Baltimore : Published by Fielding Lucas, Junr, no. 138 Market Street, 1827.
[Baltimore] : John D. Toy, printer, 
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes in 1 : illustrations ; 24 x 37 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC710 .L83 1827+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- With added engraved title-pages.
Part 1 copyright Jan. 1, 1827 by Fielding Lucas; pt. 2 copyright Sept. 1, 1827 by Fielding Lucas; pt. 3 does not have a copyright statement.
Half-title: Progressive drawing book. The half-title is engraved, with a hand-colored aquatint signed "E. Van Blon" (i.e., John Hazlehurst Boneval Latrobe), "Hill sculp." (i.e., John Hill), and "J. Grierson" (printer).
Part 3 has engraved half-title: Practical perspective.
Part 1: vi,  p., , XV leaves of plates. Pages , ,  numbered 6, 14, 22. Part 2: iv, , 6-54, , 61-64 [i.e., 61-68] p. XVII leaves of plates. Page 68 misnumbered 64. Part 3: 30 p., , VI leaves of plates.
Plates in part. 1 are engraved by Joseph Cone; plates in part. 2 are engraved by John Hill after illustrations by "E. Van Blon" (John H.B. Latrobe); plates in part. 3 are signed by J.D. Nicholson.
Includes a poem, "The colours," by "E. Van Blon" (John H.B. Latrobe), pt. 2, p. -66.
Includes landscape drawings of scenes in Maryland, the Hudson River, and the Mississippi River.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original red half roan with marbled boards. Title printed in black on orange paper label on front cover. Bookplate: Ammi B. Young, Lebanon.
- Subject Terms:
- ColorDrawing -- Handbooks.Drawing -- Study and teaching.Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.) -- Pictorial works.Landscape drawingMaryland -- Pictorial works.Mississippi River -- Pictorial works.Perspective.Picture booksYoung, Ammi B. -- Bookplate.
- Drawing books.
Aquatints -- 1827.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1827.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1827.
Engravings -- 1827.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Part I. The principles of drawing in pencil
- Part II. Colouring and shading in india ink
- Part III. A treatise on perspective.