A treatise and discourse of the lawes of the forrest : wherin is declared not onely those lawes, as they are now in force, but also the originall and beginning of forrestes: and what a forrest is in his owne proper nature, and wherein the same doth differ from a chase, a park, or a warren, with all such thinges as are incident or belonging thereunto, with their seuerall proper tearmes of art, as more at large doth appeare in the table in the beginning of this booke. Also a treatise of the purallee, declaring what purallee is, how the same first began, what a purallee man may doe, how he may hunt and vse his owne purallee, how far he may pursue and follow after his chase, together with the lymits and boundes, as well of the forrest, as the puralley. Collected and gathered together, as well out of the common lawes and statutes of this land, as also out of sundry learned auncient aucthors, and out of the Assises and Iters of Pickring and Lancaster / by Iohn Manwood.
- Additional Title(s):
Treatise and discovrse of the lawes of the forrest
- At London : Printed by Thomas Wight and Bonham Norton, 1598.
- Physical Description:
- , 167,  leaves ; 20 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsKD3525 .M36 1598Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- BEIN Uze96 G6 598m: Armorial bookplate: David Wagstaff. Autographs: Henry Allen, 1639; Ffrances Allen, 1639.
Signatures : *-2*⁴ A-D⁴ E-Z⁸ (Z8 blank) 2A⁴ 2B².
Leaves 155-158 incorrectly numbered 162-165.
Title within decorative woodcut rule- border; initials.
Printed throughout in black letter type.
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 17291
English short title catalogue, S111993
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in stiffened parchment; original white ribbon ties remain largely intact. Ms inscription "For Mr. George Owen At Godstow" on front cover. Ms inscription "The Lord F Conyngham from M. Keane" on inside of front cover. Ms description of the book signed at end Edinburgh, 9th November 1897 pasted to verso of first free end-paper. Three cuttings from sales catalogs (of 1904, 1909 and 1916) describing other copies of the same work pasted to final free end-paper. Ms inscription "Wm Macmath 9th November 1897" on rear pastedown. Unidentified armoral bookplate (possibly ms) on front pastedown.
- Subject Terms:
- Allen, Frances, fl. 1630-1639 -- Autograph (BEIN)Allen, Henry, fl. 1630-1639 -- Autograph (BEIN)Conyngham, F., Lord -- Presentation inscription from M. Keane (BAC RB)Forestry law and legislation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Game laws -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Keane, M. -- Presentation inscription to Lord F. Conyngham (BAC RB)Macmath, William -- Autograph, 9th November 1897 (BAC RB)Owen, George, of Godstow -- Provenance (BAC RB)Wagstaff, David, 1882-1951 -- Bookplate (BEIN)Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1598 (BAC RB)
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Manwood, John, -1610, A treatise and discourse of the lawes of the forrest , 1598
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.