Historia mundi, or, Mercator's Atlas : containing his cosmographicall descriptions of the fabricke and figure of the world / lately rectified in diuers places, as also beutified and enlarged with new mappes and tables by the studious industrie of Iodocus Hondy ; Englished by W.S. ...
- Additional Title(s):
- Second edytion.
- London : Printed by T. Cotes, for Michael Sparke and Samuel Cartwright, 1635 [i.e. 1637]
- Physical Description:
- , 56, 55-56, , 401, , 409-599, 520-566, 649-930,  p., 1 folded leaf of plates : maps (metal cuts), ill. (woodcuts) ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMaps/Atlases 1274Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Ea +637M: With the map of Virginia pasted over the duplicate map of New Spain on p. 905, but without the portrait of Captain John Smith called for by Sabin (no. 47885).
With an additional title page, engraved and signed "G. Glo: inu: fecit", with imprint: London printed for Michaell Sparke, and are to be sowld in greene Arbowre 1637 second edytion.
Map (plate), with title and imprint "New England the most remarqueable parts thus named by the high and mighty Prince Charles, nowe king of great Britaine London printed by Iames Reeue", signed: Simon Passeus sculpsit.
Imprimatur at foot of leaf 4O2v: Decemb. 19. 1633. Recensui hanc ... publica imprimatur; ... Guilielmus Haywood Archiep. Cant. Capellanus Domest.
Signatures: pi² A⁶ a⁴ B-F⁶; ²B-2L⁶ 2M⁶(-2M4,5,6); ³N-Z⁶, 3A-3H⁶ 3I⁴(3I4+chi1) 3K-4I⁶ 4K⁶(-4K4) 4L-4N⁴ 4O².
The verses on verso of first leaf occur in two settings, one with two states: signed (1) "F[rancis]. Q[uarles].", or (2a) "M[ichael]. S[parke]." or (2b) unsigned.
P. 905 bears a map of New Spain, a duplicate of that on p. 907. A map of Virginia, printed after the book was issued, is intended to be pasted over it.
Translator's dedication signed: Wye Saltonstall.
STC (2nd ed.) 17825
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf. Ex-Libris: Glyndebourne.
- Subject Terms:
- Atlases, British -- Early works to 1800.Geography -- Early works to 1800.
- Atlases -- England -- London -- 1637.
YCBA Collections Search
Mercator, Gerhard, 1512-1594, Historia mundi, or, Mercator's Atlas , 1635 [i.e. 1637]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.