Mudford, William, 1782-1848, An historical account of the campaign in the Netherlands, in 1815, under His Grace the Duke of Wellington, and Marshal Prince Blucher , 1817
- An historical account of the campaign in the Netherlands, in 1815, under His Grace the Duke of Wellington, and Marshal Prince Blucher : comprising the battles of Ligny, Quatre Bras, and Waterloo : with a detailed narrative of the political events connected with those memorable conflicts, down to the surrender of Paris, and the departure of Bonaparte for St. Helena / drawn up from the first authorities by William Mudford ; illustrated by numerous public and private official documents, and other papers, hitherto unpublished, communicated by officers of the highest distinction ; embellished with a series of plates descriptive of the country between Brussels and Charleroi ... by James Rouse ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Historical account of the battle of Waterloo
- London : Printed for Henry Colburn, Conduit Street, Hanover Square, 1817.
- Physical Description:
- , xviii, , 368 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : col. ill., maps ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC242 .M83 1817+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Added engraved title page (dated 1816): An historical account of the battle of Waterloo.
The engraved title page, 3 other plates and the cover design are by George Cruikshank; the figures in the other plates (except plate ii, or B) are also by him; 4 plates are after C.C. Hamilton. Plates B, D & L are mounted; in some copies D.D is also mounted (cf. Tooley). Remaining plates signed by James Rouse.
Printed by W. Flint, Old Bailey, London.
Each plate bears Colburn's imprint dated 1816 except the map, dated June 23, 1817.
Cohn, Reid, and Douglas call for 30 plates including the engraved title page presumably listed (p. xviii) as "Plate xxvii. Frontispiece." Tooley lists 31 plates, describing plate xxvii as containing "Waterloo, in memory of the heroic deeds of Shaw of 1st Life guards" (without imprint) and usually not present.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 372
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 580
Reid, G.W. Descriptive catalogue of the works of George Cruikshank, 516-544, 4679
Douglas, R.J.H. Works of George Cruikshank, 18
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 336
BEIN Bi40c +817m: 1 p.l. wanting.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt- and blind-tooled red morocco. Plate 29 (Flight of Buonaparte from the Field of Waterloo) usually marked "Y" has no letter in this copy. Plate 25 (T) bears only the signature of Rouse and may be an early state. Plate 23 (A view of the city of Brussels) is not mentioned in the 'Description of Plates,' and no reference to this is given by Tooley in his collation. There is no break in the continuity of aritst or engraver, and it may be a supplementary plate. Plate "Waterloo, in memory of the heroic deeds of Shaw of 1st Life guards" not present.
- Subject Terms:
- Colburn, Henry -- Publisher.Flint, W. -- Printer.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Contemporaries.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Elba and the Hundred Days, 1814-1815.Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815 -- Campaigns -- Belgium.Waterloo, Battle of, Waterloo, Belgium, 1815.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1817.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1817.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.