Court, country, city : British art and architecture, 1660-1735 / edited by Mark Hallett, Nigel Llewellyn, and Martin Myrone.
- New Haven : Yale Center for British Art ; London : Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, 
New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press.
- Physical Description:
- 544 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6766 .C68 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 529-530) and index.
"The late 17th and early 18th centuries saw profound changes in Britain and in its visual arts. This volume provides fresh perspectives on the art of the late Stuart and early Georgian periods, focusing on the concepts, spaces, and audiences of court, country, and city as reflected in an array of objects, materials, and places. The essays discuss the revolutionary political and economic circumstances of the period, which not only forged a new nation-state but also provided a structural setting for artistic production and reception. Essays cover such diverse topics as tapestry in the age of Charles II and painting in the court of Queen Anne; male friendship portraits; mezzotint and the exchange between painting and print; the interpretation of genres such as still life and marine painting; the concept of remembered places; courtly fashion and furnishing; the codification of rules for painting; and the development of aesthetic theory"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Great Britain -- History -- 17th century.Architecture -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Architecture and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 17th century.Architecture and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Architecture and society.Architecture.ART / Criticism & Theory.ART / European.Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 17th century.Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Art and society.Art, British -- 17th century.Art, British -- 18th century.Art, British.Great Britain.HISTORY / Europe / Great Britain.HISTORY / Modern / 17th Century.HISTORY / Modern / 18th Century.
YCBA Collections Search
Court, country, city ,