The complete sportsman, or, Country gentleman's recreation : containing the whole arts of breeding and managing game cocks, with the best methods of fighting them : of rearing and backing colts : of managing race-horses, hunters, &c. : of horse-racing : of bowling : of hare-hunting : of fox-hunting : of buck-hunting : of otter-hunting : of coursing : of breeding and ordering dogs for the gun or chase, &c. : of angling in all its various branches : of breeding pigeons, rabbets, canary birds, &c. : of finding the haunts of partridges, pheasants, and all manner of game : of shooting, and of shooting flying, &c. : together, with several other equally curious articles, too numerous to be mentioned in this title page / by Thomas Fairfax, Esq.
- Additional Title(s):
Country gentleman's recreation
- London : Printed for J. Cooke, at Shakespear's-Head, in Pater-noster-Row, [1760?]
- Physical Description:
- vi, , 8-240, , 2-24 pages,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK31 .F35 1760Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- In this edition there is a colon after the word "recreation" on the title page; page 11 is signed A6 and page 15 is unsigned.
Date of publication from Podeschi.
Includes headpieces, tailpieces, and initial.
Podeschi, J. B. Horse and horsemanship, 53
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later quarter mock-vellum and marbled boards. Includes catalog for books sold by J. Cooke, 24 pages at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Amusements.Great Britain.Outdoor recreation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Outdoor recreation.Physical education and training -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Physical education and training.
- Wood engravings -- 1760.
YCBA Collections Search
Fairfax, Thomas, Esq., The complete sportsman, or, Country gentleman's recreation , [1760?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.