The chace, the turf, and the road / by Nimrod ; with illustrations by Henry Alken, and a portrait by D. Maclise, R.A.
- London : John Murray, Albemarle Street, MDCCCXXXVII 
London : Printed by A. Spottiswoode, New-Street-Square, 
- Physical Description:
- , xx, 301,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF345 .N56 1837Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The frontispiece is a portrait of Nimrod by Edward Francis Finden, after Daniel Maclise. Remaining leaves of plates are wood engravings by Henry Alken.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt tooled red sheepskin, by R. Wallis. Tooled in gilt on front and back covers and spine, pictorial tooling (horse and foxheads, horseshoe, hounds, etc.) on front and back cover and spine, gold lettering on spine, top edge gilt. Pieces of the original cloth binding are mounted on two extra binder's leaves at the end.
- Subject Terms:
- Coaching (Transportation) -- England.Fox hunting.Horse racing -- Great Britain.Horse racing.Hunting.Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Bookplate.Wallis, R. -- bookbinder.
- Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1837.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1837.
YCBA Collections Search
Nimrod, 1778-1843, The chace, the turf, and the road , MDCCCXXXVII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.