Verigotta, Syed, Syed Verigotta is now selling Phillips & Co.'s celebrated teas at the provision stores, [approximately 1900?]
Syed Verigotta is now selling Phillips & Co.'s celebrated teas at the provision stores.
- [India?], [approximately 1900?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : color illustrations ; 32 x 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 49mYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Syed Verigotta's visit to Cheshire, England, is noted in the Cheshire Observer for September 29, 1894: "Syed Verigotta, the Indian tea planter of the celebrated Kholapore tea gardens, is now at G. Denson and Co.'s stores, 41, Bridge-Street," where he will appear in "native costume."
The firm of Phillips & Co., tea merchants, was based at 8 King William-Street, London, in the latter half of the 19th century.
Advertisement for Phillips & Co. teas, to be had in the provision stores of Syed Verigotta. The sheet features a photographic portrait of Verigotta at center, around which are illustrations of birds in Japanese (?) costume.
- Subject Terms:
- Phillips & Co. (London, England)Tea -- Great Britain.Tea -- India.Tea trade -- Great Britain.Tea trade -- India.Verigotta, Syed.
Color woodcuts -- 1900.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.