Shaw, George, 1966-, George Shaw , 2016
George Shaw : my back to nature / George Shaw ; with an introduction by Colin Wiggins.
- Additional Title(s):
My back to nature
- London : National Gallery Company, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 109 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.Sh26552 A12 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published to accompany the exhibition of the same name held at The National Gallery, London, 11th May-30th October 2016.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 105-106).
"George Shaw is known for his minutely detailed and luminously atmospheric depictions of the urban landscape and woodlands of central England. Painting scenes from his native region, he meditates on the central themes of relationships, ancestry and love. His preferred medium, Humbrol enamel paints, is a deliberate means of distancing himself from the traditions of oil painting. Yet as a teenager in Coventry, Shaw developed a deep relationship with the National Gallery, making regular day trips to London to draw from those artists he found inspiring. In 2014, Shaw began a two-year residency as Associate Artist in the Gallery, finding new inspiration from the Collection. Although the evocative works he made during this period appear strictly representational, they allude not only to the religious and mythological stories told in the paintings of Bellini, Crivelli, Titian, Poussin and Contable, but also to the popular and lowbrow films and magazines of his youth. This new series of paintings, Shaw's first on canvas, is reproduced here, together with working drawings and an illuminating essay by the artist himself"--Back cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, British -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.Shaw, George, 1966-Shaw, George, 1966- -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Director's foreword
- 'Naked women and pictures of Jesus' / Colin Wiggins
- Rooms used in daylight as though they were dark woods / George Shaw
- Artist biography
- List of exhibited works.