Markham, Gervase, 1568?-1637, The young sportman's instructor , [1705?]
- The young sportman's instructor : in angling, fowling, hawking, hunting, ordering singing birds, hawks, poultry, coneys, hares and dogs, and how to cure them / by G.M.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Young sportsman's instructor
- [London] : Sold at the Gold Ring in Little Britain, [1705?]
- Physical Description:
- , 140 pages,  leaf of plates : illustration ; 70 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK35.5 .M37 1705Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Frontispiece woodcut on leaf A1 verso.
"According to Poynter, George Conyers published this book circa 1705. Most of the work is devoted to fishing and fowling but pages 119-128 contain 'Instructions for the Huntsman in the Noble Recreation of Hunting the Stag, Buck, Hare, Badge, &c.' taken from Markham's Country Contentments (1615)"--Podeschi.
"Price 6d."--Title page.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse, 38
Poynter, F.N.L. Gervase Markham, page 188
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary dark green roan, all edges gilt. Lacks pink place marking ribbon described in Podeschi.
- Subject Terms:
- Fishing -- Early works to 1800.Hunting -- Early works to 1800.
- Miniature books (Printing) -- England -- 18th century.
Woodcuts -- 1705.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.