Linwood, Mary, 1755-1845, Miss Linwood's gallery of pictures in worsted , 1813
Miss Linwood's gallery of pictures in worsted : Leicester Square.
- Additional Title(s):
Gallery of pictures in worsted
- London : Rider and Weed, printers, Little Britain, 1813.
- Physical Description:
- 24 pages ; 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK9198.L5 M5 1813Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for Linwood's needlepoint picture Tygress, after George Stubbs
- "The picture collection, steadily added to until Miss Linwood lost her eyesight when she was about seventy-five, eventually consisted of over sixty reproductions, in addition to a self-portrait she made when she was nineteen. ... The catalogue appended to each title an appropriate excerpt from poetry, mostly from favorite eighteenth-century authors like Thomson."--Altick, Richard D. The shows of London. Cambridge, Mass. : Belknap Press, 1978, p. 401.
Item 57 in the catalog is Linwood's Tygress, after a painting by George Stubbs. The original needlework picture is now in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts (see link provided herewith). Accompanying the catalog entry is an excerpt of verse from Milton's Paradise Lost: "Then as a tiger, who by chance hath spy'd In some purlieu two gentle fawns at play, Strait couches close, then rising changes oft' His couchant watch, as one who chose his ground, Whence rushing he might surest seize them both Griped in each paw." This is followed by two lines from Thomson's Seasons: "The Tyger darting fierce Impetuous on the prey his glance has doom'd."
Printer names from title page verso.
BAC: British Art Center copy in contemporary plain wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Decoration and ornament -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Embroidery -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Linwood, Mary, 1755-1845.Needlework -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Stubbs, George, 1724-1806. Tigress.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.