Dancer, John Benjamin, 1812-1887, Photograph, Raje-Gaut, Bahar, [approximately 1870?]
Photograph, Raje-Gaut, Bahar.
- Additional Title(s):
Raje Gaut, the principal road up to Rotas Ghur, Bahar
- [Manchester, England], [approximately 1870?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 slide : microphotograph ; 3 x 8 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS412 .D36 1870 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Microphotographic slide reproducing a plate by Thomas Daniell's Oriental scenery (London : R. Bowyer, 1795-1807). In Oriental scenery, Daniell's aquatint is captioned "Raje Gaut, the principal road up to Rotas Ghur, Bahar." The slide was likely made by John Benjamin Dancer, inventor of microphotography, whose first specimens appeared in 1852 and 1853. Microphotographs greatly reduced the size of the original image -- the present reproduction measures about 1 x 1 mm -- and required use of a microscope for viewing. "Dancer mounted the microphotographs on slides for microscopical examination, and public interest in them as curiosities thereafter created an important market for his business. Their first significant application was during the siege of Paris, in 1870, when carrier pigeons were used to carry microphotographed messages" (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
The slide bears a printed yellow label, titled "Photograph, Raje-Gaut, Bahar" and numbered "49," within a border of simple wavy lines. This layout is identical to that of other slides produced by Dancer, but it lacks the initials "J.B.D." normally present in such slides. A "List of microscopic photographs prepared by J.B. Dancer ..." ca. 1870, does not include this image (Boris Jardine, 'A collection of John Benjamin Dancer microphotographs', Explore Whipple Collections, Whipple Museum of the History of Science, University of Cambridge, 2006 [http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/whipple/explore/microscopes/microphotographs/, accessed 11 July 2016]).
- Subject Terms:
- Bihar (India) -- Pictorial works.India -- Pictorial works.Rohtas (India : District) -- Pictorial works.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.