William Rothenstein and his circle , 2016
- William Rothenstein and his circle / [edited by Sarah MacDougall].
- Alternate Title(s):
- William Rothenstein and his circle : Gertler, Freedman, Kennington, Kramer, Rutherston, Wolmark
- London : Ben Uri Gallery, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 159 pages : color illustrations ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.R74 A12 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "First published in 2016 to mark the occasion of the exhibition 'Rothenstein's Relevance'--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (page 151)
Sumptuously illustrated with paintings, drawings and lithographs from both public and private collections, this publication accompanies Ben Uri's first major exhibition on Sir William Rothenstein (1872-1945) and his circle. Spanning six decades of British art, it explores Rothenstein's career and influence within the context of his (mostly younger) contemporaries including Barnett Freedman, Mark Gertler, Eric Kennington, Jacob Kramer, Albert Rutherston and Alfred Wolmark, who were all either directly influenced by or worked alongside him. 00Exhibition: Ben Uri Gallery, London, UK (10.09.2015-10.01.2016).
- 'The ideal behind the real': William Rothenstein, Alfred Wolmark and the representation of the Whitechapel Jew, c.1905-08 (Samuel Shaw) -- 'Apropos the Younger Generation': William Rothenstein and Mark Gertler (Sarah MacDougall) -- From atonement to public adornment: Jacob Kramer and William Rothenstein, 1911-22 (Rachel Dickson) -- Eric Kennington and William Rothenstein and the landscape of the Western front, 1917-19 (Dr. Jonathan Black).
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.Freedman, Barnett, 1901-1958 -- Exhibitions.Gertler, Mark, 1891-1939 -- Exhibitions.Kennington, Eric, 1888-1960 -- Exhibitions.Kramer, Jacob, 1892-1962 -- Exhibitions.Lithographed books -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.Painting -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.Rothenstein, William, 1872-1945 -- Exhibitions.Rutherston, Albert, 1881-1953 -- Exhibitions.Wolmark, Alfred, 1877-1961 -- Exhibitions.