IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Dudley, Robert, active 1858-1893, Drawings for Monthly maxims, by Robert Dudley, 1882
Drawings for Monthly maxims, by Robert Dudley.
- Additional Title(s):
- England, 1882.
- Physical Description:
-  sheets ; 25 x 23 cm or smaller
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 51Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for the published version of Monthly maxims (London : Thos. De La Rue & Co., )
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Robert Dudley (1826-1909) was a prominent 19th-century British illustrator and worked as principal draughtsman for Matthew Digby Wyatt. He executed numerous designs for publishers' bindings for Goodall & Son and also contributed illustrations to the London Illustrated News. Dudley designed several Christmas and illustrated books, including King Fo, the lord of Misrule (1884) and Monthly maxims (1882).
Original drawings by Robert Dudley, used as illustrations in: Monthly maxims : rhymes and reasons to suit the seasons, and pictures new to suit them too, by Robert Dudley. London : Thos. De La Rue & Co., Bunhill Row, . Of the 68 sheets, there are 58 watercolors or ink drawings by Dudley. In addition to vignettes and border illustrations, there are 17 full-page watercolors. For most pages bearing text and illustration, the printed text is pasted on to the boards bearing the original illustrations
The published version of Monthly maxims adheres closely to the original drawings and text present in the manuscript. There are only two significant variations: the drawings include an unpublished version of the illustration of Pisces (sheet 20a); and the beginning of verse for the month of October (sheet 51) is entirely rewritten for the published version. On printed proofs, there are occasional comments, in graphite (most notably on sheet 37a).
Five pages present in the published versions are not present here. In each case, the page is entirely letterpress: page , the dedication to the Birkett Forter; page , verse for March; page , verse for June; page , verse for August; page , verse for November. Of the four illustrations on the endpapers of the published work, only Autumnus is present in the collection.
- Subject Terms:
- Book industries and trade -- Great Britain.Holidays -- Poetry.Illustration of books -- Great Britain.Months -- Poetry.Seasons -- Poetry.Thomas De La Rue & Company.Wit and humor -- Poetry.Zodiac -- Poetry.
- Gift books.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.