Spreading canvas , 2016
- Spreading canvas : eighteenth-century British marine painting / edited by Eleanor Hughes ; with contribution by Eleanor Hughes ... [and 7 others].
- New Haven : Yale Center for British Art : Yale University Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 298 pages : color illustrations ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryND1373.G74 S67 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- This publication accompanies the exhibition 'Spreading canvas: eighteenth-century British marine painting' organised by the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, in association with the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, and on view September 15 to December 4, 2016.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 283-285) and index.
"Spreading Canvas takes a close look at the tradition of marine painting that flourished in 18th-century Britain. Drawing primarily on the extensive collections of the Yale Center for British Art and the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London, this publication shows how the genre corresponded with Britain's growing imperial power and celebrated its increasing military presence on the seas, representing the subject matter in a way that was both documentary and sublime. Works by leading purveyors of the style, including Peter Monamy, Samuel Scott, Dominic Serres, and Nicholas Pocock, are featured alongside sketches, letters, and other ephemera that help frame the political and geographic significance of these inspiring views, while also establishing the painters' relationships to concurrent metropolitan art cultures. This survey, featuring a wealth of beautifully reproduced images, demonstrates marine painting's overarching relevance to British culture of the era"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Art and society.Great Britain.Marine painting, British -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Marine painting, British.
- Exhibition catalogs.