Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, A check, 12 o'clock, tipping for the swine , 1823
A check, 12 o'clock, tipping for the swine / Hy. Alken delt.
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, Repository of Wit and Humour, 26 Haymarket, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printing plate : copper ; 26 x 36 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 65Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- At head of plate: "Hunting." The words "or six hours sport"
The print originally appeared with series title "Hunting, or, Six hours sports" above the image. In the plate, only "Hunting" remains.
Cased with four of the five other plates in this series (lacking Breaking cover).
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting I, p. 16
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, Alken 17 (p. 13)
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 32
Original copper plate used to print Henry Thomas Alken's A check, plate 5 in his series Hunting, or, Six hours sports (London : McLean, 1823).
- Subject Terms:
- Copperplates -- Specimens.Etching -- Great Britain.Fox hunting.Horse sports.Sporting prints.
- Printing plates.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.