Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Going home, apology for damage done , 1823
- Going home, apology for damage done / Hy. Alken delt.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Going home, making a good blunt, apology for damage done
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, Repository of Wit and Humour, 26 Haymarket, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printing plate : copper ; 26 x 36 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 65Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Original copper plate used to print Henry Thomas Alken's Going home, from his series Hunting, or, Six hours sports (London : McLean, 1823).
Numbered at top left: "Pl. 4." In the original series, the print was plate 6.
Cased with four of the five other plates in this series (lacking plate 3, Breaking cover).
The original print was titled "Going home, making a good blunt, apology for damage done" The words "making a good blunt" were subsequently effaced from the plate.
The original print appeared with series title "Hunting, or, Six hours sport" above the image. In the plate, it has been effaced.
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting I, p. 16
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, Alken 17 (p. 13)
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 32
- Subject Terms:
- Copperplates -- Specimens.Etching -- Great Britain.Fox hunting.Horse sports.Sporting prints.
- Printing plates.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.