Album of prints illustrating the Prince of Wales's 1860 tour of the United States and Canada, 1860 or 1861
- Album of prints illustrating the Prince of Wales's 1860 tour of the United States and Canada.
- New York : Charles Magnus & Co., 1860 or 1861.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (26 prints) ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA567 .P75 1861Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title supplied by cataloger.
The first print is a portrait of the Prince, later King Edward VII. The remainder are views in Canada and the United States. Plates are undated. Most bear the imprint of Charles Magnus & Co. (some lack imprint). Two leaves at front, dated December 1860 and January 1870, bear 16 autographs, in black ink. The autographs appear to be those of the Prince's traveling party. They include: Albert Edward (the Prince), Newcastle, Sl. Germans, Lyons, Robert Bruce, Henry W. Acland, Gardner D. Engleheart, Edward Thornton, A.F. Pickard, Henry Fitzroy, E.D. Fane, and P. Le Poer Trench. The volume was presumably produced as a unique copy, perhaps assembled by Charles Magnus & Co. from existing stock.
Bound in contemporary dark green roan; with the heraldic badge of the Prince of Wales on the front cover. Bound by E. Walker & Sons, New York City. Bookplate: Maude M. Monell.
- Portrait. H.R.H. The Prince of Wales -- Halifax -- Quebec -- Montmorency, Falls, C.E. -- Montreal. Canada, East -- Christ Church Cathedral, Montreal -- French Parish Church, Notre Dame, Montreal -- Ottawa City, Canada, West -- Chaudiere Falls -- Kingston Lake, Ontario -- University of Toronto -- Hamilton Canada West -- London, C.W. -- Niagara Falls, Canadian Side -- Niagara Falls -- Niagara Suspension Bridge -- American Fall. Niagara -- The Horse Shoe Fall, Niagara -- Detroit -- Chicago -- St. Louis -- Birds-eye view of Cincinnati -- Baltimore, Md. -- View of Washington City -- Birds-eye view of the city of Philadelphia with environs -- Birds-eye view of the city and county of New-York with environs -- Boston -- Portland, Me.
- Subject Terms:
- Baltimore (Md.) -- Pictorial works.Boston (Mass.) -- Pictorial works.Canada -- Pictorial works.Chicago (Ill.) -- Pictorial works.Cincinnati (Ohio) -- Pictorial works.Detroit (Mich.) -- Pictorial works.Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1841-1910 -- Travel -- North America.Monell, Maude M. -- Bookplate.New York (N.Y.) -- Pictorial works.Niagara Falls (N.Y. and Ont.) -- Pictorial works.Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Pictorial works.Portland (Me.) -- Pictorial works.Saint Louis (Mo.) -- Pictorial works.Washington (D.C.) -- Pictorial works.
- Autograph albums.
Steel engravings -- 1861.
Engravings -- 1861.
Etchings -- 1861.
Armorial bindings (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.