Panoramic lecture on the Hindoos! : Rev. O.R. Bacheler, M.D., for twelve years a missionary in India, will deliver a lecture on the manners, customs, and religion of the Hindoos ...
- [Yarmouth, Nova Scotia] : Power Press of the Yarmouth Herald, [1857?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ( page) : illustrations ; 60 x 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2014 16jYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- After "religion of the Hindoos," the broadside includes blanks (to be completed in manuscript) for recording the venue, locality, day, date, and time of the lecture. A blank at the foot of the broadside is to be completed with the price of admission.
"The lecture will be illustrated by thirty-five splendid transparent views! (Beautifully executed at an expense of $6000!) In oil colors, on canvas, from drawings taken on the spot. They represent the Hindoos engaged in their domestic occupations and religious rites; landscapes, cities, palaces, temples, remarkable persons, and various other objects of interest. In the preparation of these paintings, the talent of several eminent artists has been employed, and the work is executed in a superior manner. The paintings are not exhibited by a Magic Lantern."
The wood-engraved illustration at top is signed "F. Worcester sc."
Includes testimonials at foot, one of which is dated December 24, 1855. The Yale Center for British Art copy of the broadside is completed in manuscript for a lecture on Thursday, Nov. 19. The earliest possible year for this pairing of day and date is 1857.
BAC: British Art Center copy for a lecture to be delivered in Shelbourne, on November 19. Price of admission: 12 1/2 cents, or 4 pence for children under 12.
- Subject Terms:
- Hindus -- India.Missionaries -- India.Missions to Hindus -- India.Panoramas.
Wood engravings -- 1857.
YCBA Collections Search
Bacheler, O. R. (Otis Robinson), 1817-1901, Panoramic lecture on the Hindoos! , [1857?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.