Le jeu du cheval blanc.
- [France] : [Watilliaux?], [ca. 1875?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game ; in box 21 x 27 x 6 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1469 .J48 1875 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- In a number of French versions of the game, initials shown on the bell (in several illustrations) are those of the publisher. In the present edition, the bell bears a 'W'. The 'W' may refer to the prominent game manufacturer Watilliaux, active from about 1875. Other games illustrated by B. Coudert also date to ca. 1875. Gumuchian, however, suggests a publication date of 1835.
One illustration signed "B. Coudert."
BAC: British Art Center copy includes 32 circular counters, including: 14 red counters, 6 blue counters, and 12 white counters. Also present are 7 rectangular counters, in white or red. The set is housed in a rosewood box, with brass inlay; the initials TM on box top. With box key.
Gumuchian & cie. Livres de l'enfance du XVe au XIXe siècle, 3217
A dice game comprising: 5 illustrated cards, one of which is a white horse (hand-colored lithographs, each 13 x 20 cm, edged in gold paper); a sheet of rules ("Explication du cheval blanc"); 8 dice; and 20+ round glass counters (should be 21 according to Gumuchian).
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- France.Card games -- France.Games -- France -- 19th century.
- Recreations -- France.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1875.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.