- Additional Title(s):
- [Germany?] : [publisher not identified], [mid-19th century]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (1 gameboard, 24 game pieces) ; gameboard 34 x 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1312 .B45 1850 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The 24 wooden game pieces are stored within the publisher's original paper box, with illustrated label on box top. The folded gameboard is housed in a paper slipcase, with illustrated label. Both containers feature an image of cannons firing upon a hilltop fort.
Title from illustrated labels on the box and slipcase.
Accompanied by a folded sheet of instructions for game play ( pages), in German and in French. The French instructions are captioned "Le jeu d'assaut."
The game is a contest between 24 attackers (bases painted blue) and 2 defenders (bases painted red). Following rules of movement similar to those in the game of checkers, the attack attempts to win the game by placing its men on all nine of the fixed points within the fort.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Germany -- 19th century.Games -- Germany -- 19th century.War games -- Specimens.
- Board games.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.