Porter, Cole, 1891-1964, Brush up your Shakespeare , 2016
- Brush up your Shakespeare : from Kiss me Kate / Cole Porter.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Kiss me, Kate. Brush up your Shakespeare
- Nuneaton, Warwickshire, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : pen and black ink ; 77 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2016 5bYale Center for British Art, Gift of Neale Albert, Yale JD 1961, and Margaret AlbertAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Manuscript broadside, by Andy Moore, featuring the complete lyrics to Cole Porter's "Brush up your Shakespeare," from the musical Kiss me Kate. Moore's calligraphy is written in black ink throughout, on Arches paper. Bars of musical notation separate each verse. The words "Brush up your Shakespeare, 1564-1616" are written from bottom to top in the left-hand margin; "From Kiss me Kate, Cole Porter, 1891-1964" from top to bottom in the right-hand margin.
The item was commissioned for the exhibition "'The Poet of Them All': William Shakespeare and Miniature Designer Bindings from the Collection of Neale and Margaret Albert" (Yale Center for British Art, June 16-August 21, 2016).
Selected exhibitions: "'The Poet of Them All': William Shakespeare and Miniature Designer Bindings from the Collection of Neale and Margaret Albert" (Yale Center for British Art, June 16-August 21, 2016).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Taming of the shrew.
- Calligraphy (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.