IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Porter, Cole, 1891-1964, Brush up your Shakespeare , 2016
Brush up your Shakespeare : from Kiss me Kate / Cole Porter.
- Additional Title(s):
Kiss me, Kate. Brush up your Shakespeare
- Nuneaton, Warwickshire, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : pen and black ink ; 77 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2016 5bYale Center for British Art, Gift of Neale Albert, Yale JD 1961, and Margaret AlbertView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The item was commissioned for the exhibition "'The Poet of Them All': William Shakespeare and Miniature Designer Bindings from the Collection of Neale and Margaret Albert" (Yale Center for British Art, June 16-August 21, 2016).
Selected exhibitions: "'The Poet of Them All': William Shakespeare and Miniature Designer Bindings from the Collection of Neale and Margaret Albert" (Yale Center for British Art, June 16-August 21, 2016).
Manuscript broadside, by Andy Moore, featuring the complete lyrics to Cole Porter's "Brush up your Shakespeare," from the musical Kiss me Kate. Moore's calligraphy is written in black ink throughout, on Arches paper. Bars of musical notation separate each verse. The words "Brush up your Shakespeare, 1564-1616" are written from bottom to top in the left-hand margin; "From Kiss me Kate, Cole Porter, 1891-1964" from top to bottom in the right-hand margin.
- Subject Terms:
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Taming of the shrew.
- Calligraphy (visual works)
“The Poet of Them All”: William Shakespeare and Miniature Designer Bindings from the Collection of Neale and Margaret Albert (Yale Center for British Art, June 16, 2016-August 21, 2016) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.