Nouvelles courses de Newmarchet, ou bien, La poste aux anes , [approximately 1825]
Nouvelles courses de Newmarchet, ou bien, La poste aux anes : jeu (tout comme un autre).
- Paris : Augustin Legrand, [approximately 1825]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game ; in box 24 x 15 x 3 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1469 .N68 1825 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from engraved illustrated sheet mounted on box top. The engraved title is framed by an embossed gilt border which also covers the sides of the box.
Variant game pieces are known. The University of Virginia copy comprises: 4 engraved cards showing the oval race track with surrounding landscape, including buildings, spectators, etc.; 2 bone dice; 2 counters, to be used with 2 paper cut-out horses; 22 glass chips. The Yale Center for British Art copy comprises the 4 engraved cards showing the race track; no dice; 3 wooden counters, to be used with 4 paper cut-out horses; and three sets of cards (numbered 0-6), each hand-colored in yellow, red, and blue.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- France -- 19th century.Horse racing -- England -- Newmarket (Suffolk)
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.