The magic ring : a merry game.
- [Albany?] : [Richard Pease?], [approximately 1850]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game ; in box 16 x 15 x 3 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1312 .M33 1850 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for the Ogilvy edition of The magic ring
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- A fuller (complete?) version is known: The magic ring : a merry game. A new and improved edition. London : Published by E. & M. A. Ogilvy, [between 1855 and 1870]. It includes 56 playing cards, 1 game board, and 1 sheet of instructions. See link provided herewith.
Description based on the Yale Center for British Art copy, which is presumably incomplete (lacking game board and instructions).
Title from box top.
The game lacks an indication of publisher, except on one of the playing cards, which is signed: "Lith. of Richd. H. Pease, Albany." Pease was active in Albany from 1834 to 1862.
In original cardboard box, with hand-colored lithograph on the box top.
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks game board and instructions. Includes small fragments of paper, cut and numbered by hand. Presumably, the fragments served a function in play of the game.
The game includes 49 playing cards (hand-colored lithographs). It appears to belong to the category of matching card games. For example, when the dealer reads a card saying "the cat wants her kittens," then the player holding the card with "kittens" delivers it to the dealer.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- United States -- 19th century.Board games -- United States.Games -- United States.Toys -- United States -- 19th century.
- Games -- United States.
Board games -- United States.
Recreations -- United States.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.