Collection of British cartes-de-visite.
- Great Britain, ca. 1857-1900.
- Physical Description:
- approximately 600 cartes-de-visite ; each approximately 10 x 6.5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn ProcessYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- A full inventory of the collection is in preparation.
The collection comprises cartes-de-visite produced by British commercial photographers, from ca. 1857 to the late nineteenth century. The collection includes photographs of the British Royal family and other celebrities, but the vast majority depict common individuals. Women and children are well represented. A significant portion of the collection includes depictions of women in hats.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Fashion -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Hats -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
Card photographs (photographs)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.