Album of cartes-de-visite and cabinet photographs of the British royal family, ca. 1860-ca. 1905
Album of cartes-de-visite and cabinet photographs of the British royal family.
- Great Britain, ca. 1860-ca. 1905.
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (76 photographs) ; 30 x 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR680 .A53 1860+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Predominantly albumen prints, with later gelatin silver prints.
Album of photographs of the British royal family, ca. 1860 to ca. 1905. The 76 photographs include 6 cabinet cards and 70 cartes-de visite, each inserted in windows of the purpose-made album. Individuals depicted include Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, and their issue: Victoria, Edward, Alice, Alfred, Helena, Louise, Arthur, Leopold, and Beatrice. Also depicted are Queen Alexandra, Maria Feodorovna, and Empress Eugénie. Most of the portraits depict a single sitter, but there are also a number of group portraits. One of the cabinet cards (by Boxell) depicts an unidentified wedding (?) cake.
Photographers include: William Bambridge, Thomas Boxell, Paul Emile Chappuis, Charles Edward Clifford, François Deron, Disdéri & Cie, W. & D. Downey, Ghémar Frères, L. Haase & Comp., Vernon Heath, Hills & Saunders, Lafayette Ltd., The London Stereoscopic & Photographic Company, George Mansfield (Dublin), J.E. Mayall, R. Milne, John Moffat, Samuel E. Poulton, Southwell Brothers, Rudolph Striegler, and John & Charles Watkins.
The upper and lower covers are papier-mâché boards, each painted and lacquered. The entirety of the front cover is painted with a scene derived from The cherry seller, by William Collins (1788-1847). The lower cover is painted black, with gold border, with (at center) a painted image of a dog, titled "Expectation." The work is attributed to the Stobwasser workshop of Braunschweig, Germany.
- Subject Terms:
- Albert, Prince Consort, consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1861 -- Portraits.Alexandra, Queen, consort of Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1844-1925 -- Portraits.Alice, Grand Duchess, consort of Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt, 1843-1878 -- Portraits.Arthur, Prince, Duke of Connaught, 1850-1942 -- Portraits.Beatrice, Princess Henry of Battenberg, 1857-1944 -- Portraits.Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1841-1910 -- Portraits.Eugénie, Empress, consort of Napoleon III, Emperor of the French, 1826-1920 -- Portraits.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Helena Augusta Victoria, Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein, 1846-1923 -- Portraits.Leopold, Prince, Duke of Albany, 1853-1884 -- Portraits.Louise, Princess, Duchess of Argyll, 1848-1939 -- Portraits.Marīi︠a︡ Ḟeodorovna, Empress, consort of Paul I, Emperor of Russia, 1759-1828 -- Portraits.Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Alfred, Duke of, 1844-1900 -- Portraits.Victoria, Empress, consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, 1840-1901 -- Portraits.Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Portraits.
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
Gelatin silver prints.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.