The practical gardener, and modern horticulturist : containing the latest and most approved methods for the management of the kitchen, fruit, and flower-garden, the green-house, hot-house, &c., &c., for every month in the year : each department being distinctly and separately arranged : illustrated by numerous designs of the most eligible plans for the formation of kitchen and pleasure-gardens, the erection of hot-houses, hot-beds, green-houses, conservatories, walls, fences, &c., &c. including the new method of heating forcing-houses with hot water only : forming a complete system of modern practice, in the various branches of horticultural science : embellished with highly-finished engravings of some of the most choice and valuable fruits and flowers now cultivated in this country / by Charles McIntosh, C.M.C.H.S. ...
- London : Printed for Thomas Kelly, No. 17, Paternoster Row, 1828.
London : Printed by J. Rider, Little Britain
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes (viii, 1122 pages,  leaves of plates) : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSB91 .M35 1828Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by Edmund Turrell; after J. Douglas, Frederick W. Smith, J.T. Hart, and E.D. Smith
Printer's statement from title page verso.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary green half calf and marbled boards. Engraved title page bound as title page to volume 2. Armorial bookplate: J.J. Jackson-Barstow.
- Subject Terms:
- Gardening.Greenhouse gardening.Greenhouses -- Designs and plans.Horticulture.Jackson-Barstow, J.J. -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1829-1829.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1828-1829.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
McIntosh, Charles, 1794-1864, The practical gardener, and modern horticulturist , 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.