Popple, Henry, -1743, A map of the British Empire in America , [ca. 1737]
- A map of the British Empire in America : with the French, Spanish and Hollandish settlements adjacent thereto / by Henry Popple ; I. Condet s.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Caption title: Carte particuliére de l'Amérique septentrionale
- At Amsterdam : Printed for I. Covens and C. Mortier, [ca. 1737]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 48 x 47 cm, on sheet 54 x 64 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 3kYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for the full four-sheet map (Cóvens and Mortier, 1737)
View electronic reproduction of the Birmingham Public Library copy
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:10,000,000] -- (N 55°--N 5°/W 107°--W 47°).
- Popple's map, originally published in 20 sheets by S. Harding and W.H. Toms, in 1733, was the first large scale map of North America.
Key map for the larger four-sheet map of the same title, published by Cóvens and Mortier in 1737 (for dating, see Cumming and Moreland).
Cumming, W.P. Southeast in early maps (3rd ed.), page 234
Moreland, C. Antique maps, page 295
List of maps of America in the Library of Congress, page 569
Title and imprint from cartouche at bottom left.
Relief shown pictorially.
Insets: Fall of Niagara -- Mexico -- Québec -- New York -- Mexico -- Placentia -- Annapolis Royal -- Boston -- New York -- Charlestown -- Bermuda -- S. Augustine -- Providence -- Havana -- S. Jago -- Kingston -- Port Antonio -- Port Royal in Martinica -- Barbados -- Antigua -- Cartagène -- Porto Bello.
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Housed with the larger four-sheet map, for which it serves as key (see link provided herewith).
- Subject Terms:
- North America -- Maps.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1737.
Maps -- North America.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.