Ocean fishes : paintings of saltwater fish / James Prosek ; foreword by Peter Matthiessen.
- New York : Rizzoli, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 183,  pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 19 x 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7668.F57 P77 2012+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of the artistView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Published to accompany the exhibition held at the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences, Oct. 2012-Jan. 2013.
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed from the author to Elisabeth Fairman, Feb. 2015. Bound in publisher's original navy boards, with dust jacket.
- Subject Terms:
- Fishes.Prosek, James, 1975- -- Exhibitions.
- Foreword : Old salt / Peter Matthiessen
- Lightning on the deck: capturing color from an unseen world / Robert McCracken Peck
- Imagining as if from within / Christopher Riopelle
- Afterword : On painting ocean fishes / James Prosek.
"In the tradition of his acclaimed Trout: an illustrated history, renowned naturalist, artist, and fisherman James Prosek captures 35 of the most pursued fish -- from striped bass to tarpon, swordfish to bonefish -- as well as many creatures that share these marine ecosystems -- from lobsters to shells to beach plants -- through rich watercolors painted specifically for this handsome volume. Ocean fishes is James Prosek's personal tribute to marine beauty unlike any published before -- based on travel, intense observation, work with scientists, and stories of those who know the fish most intimately, the fishermen (both recreational and commercial). It is also the author's quiet conservation statement. In showing the beauty and monumentality of these fish, Prosek is urging us to preserve what we have before it is lost. These paintings give the reader a privileged view of a fish fresh from the ocean when its changing colors first glint in the sun-- a view ordinarily glimpsed only by the fishermen on the boat."--Publisher's dust jacket blurb, 2012
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.