Whitehead & Hoag Company (Newark, N.J.), Diamond Jubilee souvenir badge, [1897?]
Diamond Jubilee souvenir badge.
- Newark, N.J. : Whitehead & Hoag Company, [1897?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 badge with ribbon ; 13.5 x 6 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA550 .W45 1897 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Souvenir badge commemorating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, manufactured by Whitehead & Hoag Company, presumably in 1897. The badge (4.4 cm in diameter) bears a portrait of Queen Victoria, with the words "Diamond Jubilee, 1837-1897." The image of Victoria, printed in color, appears to be derived from the series of photographic portraits executed by Alexander Bassano in 1882. The badge is attached to a cream-colored silk ribbon, bearing the flag of the United States and the Red Ensign of the United Kingdom, beneath the word "Souvenir" stamped in silver.
The reverse of the ribbon is stamped in silver: "Whitehead & Hoag Co., badge makers, Newark, N.J." The reverse of the badge is stamped "Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, N.J., badges pat. June 12, '94."
- Subject Terms:
- Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Anniversaries, etc.Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Portraits.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.