Helmreich, Anne, Nature's truth , 
Nature's truth : photography, painting, and science in Victorian Britain / Anne Helmreich.
- University Park, Pennsylvania : The Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 255 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryN72.S3 H45 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 223-235) and index.
"Investigates why nineteenth-century British painters and photographers as diverse as the Pre-Raphaelites, P.H. Emerson, and Augustus John pursued truth to nature, and how contemporary science and philosophy informed their artistic practice and the critical reception of their work"--Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and science -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Nature (Aesthetics)Painting, British -- 19th century.Photography -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Pre-Raphaelitism -- Great Britain.
- Truth to nature and the "innocent eye"
- John Everett Millais and John Brett : the rise of imagination and the crisis of Pre-Raphaelitism
- P.H. Emerson and George Clausen : renouncing the quest
- Neorealism : truth to nature in modernist critical debate.