O'Connor, Sonia A, X-radiography of textiles, dress and related objects , 
X-radiography of textiles, dress and related objects / Sonia O'Connor, Mary M. Brooks.
- [Amsterdam] ; [Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann], 
[London] : [Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann], 
- Physical Description:
- xix, 336 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryNK8804.5 .O266 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
Table of contents
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
X-radiography of textile objects reveals hidden features as well as unexpected components and materials. This book looks at the techniques used in X-raying textiles, showing how digitisation and digital image manipulation can yield maximum information about the subject.
- Subject Terms:
- Expertising, X-ray.Expertising, X-ray.Museum conservation methods.Museum conservation methods.Radiography in archaeology.Radiography in archaeology.Textile fabrics -- Radiography.Textile fabrics -- Radiography.
- 1: Textile X-radiography
- Introduction / Sonia O'Connor and Mary M. Brooks
- Principles of X-radiography / Sonia O'Connor
- High definition X-radiography of textiles: methods and approaches / Sonia O'Connor
- Textile X-radiography and digital imaging / Sonia O'Connor and Jason Maher
- Image interpretation / Sonia O'Connor
- Assessing the risks of X-radiography to textiles / Sonia O'Connor with a contribution on DNA by Jason Maher
- Radiation safety / Graham Hart
- 2: Exploring the X-radiographic features of textile objects / Sonia O'Connor and Mary M. Brooks
- Threads, fabrics and construction techniques
- Surface decoration
- Makers and making, degradation and repair
- 3: Case studies
- Introduction / Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor
- Evaluating X-radiography as a tool for examining upholstered furniture / Kathryn Gill
- The use of X-radiography in the Textile Conservation Laboratory, Opificio delle Pietro Dure, Florence: methodological, technical and research approaches towards a non-invasive investigative technique / Susanna Conti and Alfredo Aldrovandi
- The role of X-radiography in the documentation and investigation of an eighteenth century multi-layered stomacher / Gabriella Barbieri
- Hidden Structures: the use of X-radiography in the Fashion Gallery at Snibston discovery park, Leicestershire / Clare Bowyer
- X-radiography of a knitted silk stocking with metal thread embroidery / Sonia O'Connor, Mary M. Brooks and Josie Sheppard
- A chalice veil rediscovered / Sonia O'Connor and Mary M. Brooks
- The use of X-radiography in the analysis and conservation documentation of a set of seventeenth century hanging wall pockets / Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor
- 'In needle works there doth great knowledge rest': the contribution of X-radiography to the understanding of seventeenth century English embroideries from the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archeology, Oxford / Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor
- X-radiography of dolls and toys / Mary M. Brooks, Sonia O'Connor and Josie Sheppard
- X-radiography of teddy bears and other textile artefacts at the Victoria & Albert Museum / Marion Kite
- X-radiography of patchwork and quilts / Mary M. Brooks, Sonia O'Connor and Josie Sheppard
- Revealing the layers: the X-radiography of eighteenth century shoes at Hampshire County Council Museums and Archives Service / Sarah Howard and Robert Holmes
- The contribution of X-radiography to the conservation and study of textile/leather composite archaeological footwear recovered from the Norwegian Arctic / Elizabeth E. Peacock
- Controlled lifting and X-radiography of gold threads from ancient archaeological textiles / Elizabeth Barham
- X-radiography of ethnographic objects at the Horniman Museum / Louis Bacon
- The use of X-radiography in the conservation treatment and reinterpretation of an incomplete musette / Sylvie François
- X-radiographic examination of a historic mannequin on display in Edinburgh, Castle, Scotland / David Starley and Fiona Cahill
- X-radiography of Rembrandt's paintings on canvas / Ernst van de Wetering Précis by Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor.