O'Connor, Sonia A, X-radiography of textiles, dress and related objects , 
X-radiography of textiles, dress and related objects / Sonia O'Connor, Mary M. Brooks.
- [Amsterdam] ; [Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann], 
[London] : [Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann], 
- Physical Description:
- xix, 336 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryNK8804.5 .O266 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
Table of contents
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
X-radiography of textile objects reveals hidden features as well as unexpected components and materials. This book looks at the techniques used in X-raying textiles, showing how digitisation and digital image manipulation can yield maximum information about the subject.
- Subject Terms:
- Expertising, X-ray.Expertising, X-ray.Museum conservation methods.Museum conservation methods.Radiography in archaeology.Radiography in archaeology.Textile fabrics -- Radiography.Textile fabrics -- Radiography.
- 1: Textile X-radiography
- Introduction / Sonia O'Connor and Mary M. Brooks
- Principles of X-radiography / Sonia O'Connor
- High definition X-radiography of textiles: methods and approaches / Sonia O'Connor
- Textile X-radiography and digital imaging / Sonia O'Connor and Jason Maher
- Image interpretation / Sonia O'Connor
- Assessing the risks of X-radiography to textiles / Sonia O'Connor with a contribution on DNA by Jason Maher
- Radiation safety / Graham Hart
- 2: Exploring the X-radiographic features of textile objects / Sonia O'Connor and Mary M. Brooks
- Threads, fabrics and construction techniques
- Surface decoration
- Makers and making, degradation and repair
- 3: Case studies
- Introduction / Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor
- Evaluating X-radiography as a tool for examining upholstered furniture / Kathryn Gill
- The use of X-radiography in the Textile Conservation Laboratory, Opificio delle Pietro Dure, Florence: methodological, technical and research approaches towards a non-invasive investigative technique / Susanna Conti and Alfredo Aldrovandi
- The role of X-radiography in the documentation and investigation of an eighteenth century multi-layered stomacher / Gabriella Barbieri
- Hidden Structures: the use of X-radiography in the Fashion Gallery at Snibston discovery park, Leicestershire / Clare Bowyer
- X-radiography of a knitted silk stocking with metal thread embroidery / Sonia O'Connor, Mary M. Brooks and Josie Sheppard
- A chalice veil rediscovered / Sonia O'Connor and Mary M. Brooks
- The use of X-radiography in the analysis and conservation documentation of a set of seventeenth century hanging wall pockets / Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor
- 'In needle works there doth great knowledge rest': the contribution of X-radiography to the understanding of seventeenth century English embroideries from the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archeology, Oxford / Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor
- X-radiography of dolls and toys / Mary M. Brooks, Sonia O'Connor and Josie Sheppard
- X-radiography of teddy bears and other textile artefacts at the Victoria & Albert Museum / Marion Kite
- X-radiography of patchwork and quilts / Mary M. Brooks, Sonia O'Connor and Josie Sheppard
- Revealing the layers: the X-radiography of eighteenth century shoes at Hampshire County Council Museums and Archives Service / Sarah Howard and Robert Holmes
- The contribution of X-radiography to the conservation and study of textile/leather composite archaeological footwear recovered from the Norwegian Arctic / Elizabeth E. Peacock
- Controlled lifting and X-radiography of gold threads from ancient archaeological textiles / Elizabeth Barham
- X-radiography of ethnographic objects at the Horniman Museum / Louis Bacon
- The use of X-radiography in the conservation treatment and reinterpretation of an incomplete musette / Sylvie François
- X-radiographic examination of a historic mannequin on display in Edinburgh, Castle, Scotland / David Starley and Fiona Cahill
- X-radiography of Rembrandt's paintings on canvas / Ernst van de Wetering Précis by Mary M. Brooks and Sonia O'Connor.