Flowers of Skye / K.M.T.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (33 drawings) : watercolor over graphite ; 15 x 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQK308 .K68 1899+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Signed in manuscript on front paste-down: C.M. Sutton Sharpe, Byways [?], Harrington, Lincoln.
Stamped in ink on front paste-down: Sargeant, stationer, Peterboro'.
Album of watercolors of flowering plants from the Isle of Skye, drawn from 1899 to 1901 by "K.M.T." Following the title-page are 33 full-page watercolors of flowers on the island, each drawn in watercolor over graphite. The Latin and common English names of the flowers are noted, written with the watercolor brush. A handful of the drawings at the beginning of the album are dated. The watercolors are drawn in a late 19th century sketchbook bearing the printed label of Geo. Rowney & Co., the leaves made of Whatman's hand-made paper. The album is covered in the original brown cloth, with a "loop-over" cloth fastener. The upper board is also hand-lettered "Flowers of Skye" in ink.
- Subject Terms:
- Flowers -- Scotland -- Skye, Island of -- Pictorial works.Sargeant, J. W. -- Ink stamp.Skye, Island of (Scotland)Sutton Sharpe, Catherine M. -- Autograph.Wild flowers -- Scotland -- Skye, Island of -- Pictorial works.Women in natural history.
- Botanical illustrations.
- Teucrium scorodonia, Wood germander, wood sage, June 1899
- Orobus sylvaticus, Wood bitter vetch, June 1899
- Scrophularia nodosa, Knotty-rooted fig-wort, July 1899
- Rubus idaeus, Wild raspberry, Dunvegan, July 1899
- Lonicera periclymenum, Common honeysuckle, Dunvegan, July 1899
- Tormenilla officinalis, Common tormentil
- Thymus serpyllum, Wild thyme
- Narthecium ossifragum, Lancashire, Bog asphodel
- Hypericum pulchrum, Small upright St. John's wort
- From the Bonner
- Potentilla anserina, Silver-weed, Goose-weed, Wild tansey
- Erica tetralix, Cross-leaved heath
- Erica cinerea, Fine-leaved heath, Bell heather
- Digitalis purpurea, Purple foxglove
- Convolvulus sepium, Great bind-weed
- Lotus corniculatus, Common bird's-foot trefoil
- Senecio jacobaea, Common ragwort
- Calluna vulgaris, Common ling
- Lathyrus pratensis, Meadow vetchling
- Malva moschata, Musk mallow
- Scabiosa succisa, Devil's-bit scabious
- Gentiana campestris, Field Gentian
- Achillea ptarmica, Sneeze-wort, Goose-wort
- Primula vulgaris, Primrose
- Sainfoin, Onobrychis sativa, Holy hay
- Melampyrum pratense, Common yellow cow wheat
- Hyacinthus non-scriptus, Wild hyacinth, Hare-bell
- Pinguicula vulgaris, Common butterwort
- Eriophorum angustifolium, Common cottongrass
- Geum rivale, Water avens
- Alchemilla vulgaris, Common ladies' mantle
- Drosera rotundifolia, Round-leaved sundew; Drosera longifolia, Long-leaved sundew
- Polygala vulgaris, Common milkwort.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.