Murray, Henry, F.S.A., The art of painting and drawing in coloured crayons , [between 1906 and 1916]
- The art of painting and drawing in coloured crayons : being a course of instruction for the execution of portraiture and landscape / by Henry Murray, F.S.A.
- London, England : Winsor & Newton, Limited, Rathbone Place, [between 1906 and 1916]
London : Printed by William Clowes and Sons ...
- Physical Description:
- 60, 64 pages ; 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC855 .M87 1901Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printer's statement from verso of title page.
The title page of the catalogue (64 pages) records Winsor & Newton's New York establishment as "298, Broadway." The firm was active at this address from 1906 to 1916. See: British artists' suppliers, 1650-1950.
"Winsor & Newton's catalogue of colours and materials for oil and water colour painting, pencil, chalk and architectural drawing &c."--64 pages, 2nd count. Includes numerous wood-engraved illustrations.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original yellow limp cloth. "Twenty-sixth thousand."--Title page.
- Drawing in coloured crayons -- The composition of pastels -- Colouring matters -- Bases -- Mucilages -- Colours -- The preparation of the colours -- The preparation of crayons -- Bases and primitives -- Tints and tones -- Papers -- The method of working in coloured crayons -- Colour, and the composition of tints -- Draperies, backgrounds, &c. -- Vellum -- Colouring on vellum -- Landscape painting in crayons -- The paper -- The sketch and execution -- To fix crayon drawings -- Fixing by transudation -- Fixing by immersion -- Fixing by aspersion -- Fixing by steam.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' materials -- Catalogs.Color drawing -- Technique.Crayon drawing -- Technique.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Drawing materials -- Catalogs.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
Wood engravings -- 1906-1916.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.