Josiah Wedgwood & Sons, William Shakespeare commemorative ceramic mug, 1964
- William Shakespeare commemorative ceramic mug.
- Alternate Title(s):
- On bottom of mug: William Shakespeare Esq., playwright and poet, born 1564, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England
- England, 1964.
- Physical Description:
- 1 mug : Queen's ware, cream-colored earthenware ; 12 cm high, 9 cm in diameter, 14 cm wide with handle
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsCabinet R2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Neale Albert, Yale JD 1961, and Margaret AlbertAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for Shakespeare characters plate
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "Decoration to exterior depicts Shakespearean characters in black print with each character's name displayed, in black type on either a pink or blue background. Handle has a yellow strip to its exterior which has a fine black edge line and fine black horizontal lines. Interior of this mug is also decorated, one side has the year 1564 in black ink on a blue background, and opposite the year 1964 in black ink on a yellow background can be seen. Body is made from Queen's ware with a clear glaze applied to exterior and interior. All of these were designed by the resident Wedgwood artist, Victor Skellern."--The Wedgwood Museum, accessed online, December 2016.
With backstamp "Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston" alongside "Engraved by the Wedgwood studios." Also bears the mark 'D' (in green ink).
"Design sponsored by the 1964 Shakespeare Anniversary Council, Stratford-upon-Avon."--Mug bottom.
- Mr. Garrick as King Lear -- Mr. Grist as Othello -- Mr. Smith as Richard III -- Mr. Garrick as Macbeth -- Mr. Kean as Hamlet -- Mr. Shuter as Falstaff -- Miss P. Hopkins as Lavinia -- Mrs. Lessingham as Ophelia -- Mrs. Balkley as Mrs. Ford -- Mrs. Hartley as Hermione -- Mrs. Baddeley as Joan La P. -- Mrs. Hopkins as Volumnia.
- Subject Terms:
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Anniversaries, etc.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Characters.
- Ceramic (material)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.